Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Day in Washington DC...

One of our favorite things to do is to travel and see new places and do new things! Yesterday, my husband and I drove down to Washington DC. It's only about two hours away from us (that is, when there is no traffic. Driving back home in rush hour last night took a lot longer than just two hours!) and although I've been there before, there were lots of things there that I hadn't seen before! My absolute favorite thing of the day was the National Gallery of Art. I majored in Art History in college, I love art and museums, and this museum is a great one! The weather was so beautiful, I don't ever remember it being this warm in February ever before! Here are some pictures of our day...


Standing by the National Gallery of Art


The beautiful fresh flower display in the grand entrance hall of the gallery. The display was filled with tulips and hydrangeas and lots of other gorgeous flowers, and it smelled wonderful! I love the idea of bringing in something fresh and new like flowers into a space that houses the old and ancient.


Standing in the Modern Art wing.


The museum has a great collection of art, and has several beautiful paintings by Monet, Renoir, Cezanne, Van Gogh and too many others to name! My favorite was definitely Van Gogh's self portrait. This photo really doesn't do it any justice, but the colors are so vibrant and striking!


The exterior of the National Gallery of Art. If you've never been to any of the Smithsonian Museums, you should definitely visit them! This one is my favorite, but the Natural History Museum and American History Museum are also amazing! (Plus, if you've ever seen the Night at the Museum movies, it makes it even more fun to go to these!)


A glimpse of the White House.


The Washington Hotel by the White House.


We walked to most of the monuments in the afternoon, not realizing how much walking that was! My workout for the WEEK!


I hope you all have a great weekend and get to do something fun and maybe take a trip somewhere! I have lots of fun posts coming up soon! Come back and check them out over the next couple of days! Have a great weekend, Everyone!

4 comments:

  1. I never realized how much of a walk visiting the monuments was either!
    I never made it to Abraham Lincoln, and it was pretty much the sole reason I wanted to go to D.C (that and the museums, of course).

    Sounds like you had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a wonderful trip!! I've never been to D.C. before, but we'd really like to go! The hubby and I love anything historical and about every kind of museum, so it sounds like a trip we need to plan soon. I'd like to have suggestions on where to stay in the city....I may email you sometime if you have some ideas!
    It looks like you all picked a beautiful day to be there! You're so cute in the pics! Thanks for sharing with us. :)
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. DC is one of my favorite spots! Nothing like a great art museum. I try to get to the Met in NYC at least once a year - by myself - so I can wander and go where I want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the lovely tour. I haven't been to D.C. in ages, really since I lived in PA. It looks like you had a fab time and I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs