Friday, June 27, 2014

Traditional Shortbread Cookies

Hi Everyone! If you are a tea lover like me, you are going to love this shortbread to go along with your tea! I can't make it through the day without my favorite English Breakfast Tea in the morning, and sometimes an extra cup in the afternoon, which is always made better by a sweet treat, of course! Shortbread is one of my favorites, and this recipe, which only requires three ingredients, a couple simple steps, and can be prepared in under an hour, is both delicious and super easy! There's nothing like that sweet, buttery cookie with a big cup of tea!

 TRADITIONAL SHORTBREAD COOKIES
(Recipe via BBC FOOD)
*Makes about 20 cookies*

YOU WILL NEED
4oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2oz (about 1/4 cup) granulated sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
6oz (about 1 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour


DIRECTIONS

1. First, whisk together the softened butter and granulated sugar until you have a smooth, creamy mixture. Slowly add in the flour and mix until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out into a rectangle that's about 1/2 inch thick.

2. Next, either cut out shapes using a cookie cutter, or cut out rectangles using a knife or a pizza cutter. Place your shapes onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Using a toothpick, make little holes in your cookies by inserting the toothpick and wiggling it around a little bit. Then, sprinkle the cookies generously with more sugar (the cookies themselves are not super sweet, so if you prefer a sweeter shortbread, add extra on top of each cookie). 

3. Preheat your oven to 375 deg F, and place your cookie sheet with all the shortbread in the fridge for 10 - 15 minutes. Then, bake the cookies for about 12 - 15 minutes until they are just slightly golden brown around the edges. 

And as for the tea, these are some of my favorites...

 Left: My all-time favorite tea, the Royal Wedding Tea by Harney & Sons, created to celebrate the royal wedding in 2011. It's made with almonds, coconut and rose petals and both smells and tastes incredible! (Find out more HERE!) Middle: English Breakfast Tea. My favorite everyday tea! It's like a hug in a teacup! Right: One of my newer favorites, Brioche Tea from the American Tea Room. This tea seriously smells like you just walked into a Parisian bakery. Besides it being a delicious light tea, the scent is just incredible! (Find out more HERE!)

Happy Baking, Everyone!
I will be linking to THESE wonderful blogs!
Follow Shopgirl on Bloglovin' / Follow Shopgirl on Twitter / Follow Shopgirl on Pinterest 

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe how easy these are to make...and only 3 ingredients! Pinned! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and easy. Perfect for a good cup of coffee. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I love shortbread cookies but I have never made them. I will be trying this recipe.
    I would love for you to share this a my T.G.I.F. Linky Party @ MamasBlogCentral.com Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply Suzannes at Home

    Oh my goodness, your shortbread cookies look simple scrumptious. I love these cookies with a cup of tea or coffee. Thanks so much for sharing!!
    Have a wonderful Fourth of July holiday,
    Suzanne
    visiting from Show Stopper Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  5. My all time favorite food. I love the sugar sprinkled on top. I've never done that before. Pretty photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your Shortbread Cookies, perfect with my afternoon tea. Hope you have had a great weekend and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs